********KHUBLEI******** ******** *********KHUBLEI******** ******** *********KHUBLEI***********

********WELCOME******* ******** ********WELCOME******* ******** ********WELCOME********

******** स्वागत हे/ SVAAGAT HE******** ******** ******** स्वागत हे/ SVAAGAT HE****************

WELCOME DEAR VIEWERS....

1. Do you want to enjoy and relax yourselves then WELCOME to this blog....
2. Do you want to know about Khasi Tribe (Maram) of Meghalaya, about Matrilineal system....
3. Do you want to know about Bhagavad Gita and Bible...

August 22, 2007

BOOKS AND READING

Books And Reading.
Happy is the man who acquires the habit of reading when he is young. He has secured a life-long pleasure, instruction and inspiration. So long as he has his beloved books, he need never feel lonely He always has a pleasant occupation of leisure moments, so that he never feel bored. He is the possessor of wealth more precious than gold. Ruskin calls books, ``Kings`-Treasures``-treasures filled, not with gold and silver and precious stones, but with riches more valuable than these-knowledge, noble thoughts and high ideals. Poor indeed is the man who does not read, and empty is his life.
The blessings, which the reading habit confers on its possessor, are many.
Provided we choose the right kind of books, reading gives the highest kind of pleasure. Some books we read simply for pleasure and amusement-for eg, good novels. And novels and books of imagination must have their place in everybody’s reading. When we are tired, or the brain is weary with serious study, it is a healthy recreation to lose ourselves in dome absorbing story written by a master hand
But to read nothing but books of fiction is like eating nothing but cakes and sweetmeats. As we need plain wholesome food for the body, so we must have serious reading for the mind. And there we can choose according to our taste. There are many noble books on history, biography, philosophy, religion, travel and science which we ought to read, and which will give us not only pleasure but and education. And we can develop a taste for serious reading, so that at the end it will give us a solid pleasure than even novels and books of fiction.
Nor should poetry be neglected, for the best poetry gives us noble thoughts and beautiful imaginings clothed in lovely and musical language.
Books are the most faithful of friends, our friends may change, or die; but our books are always patiently waiting to talk to us. They are never cross, peevish, or unwilling to converse, as our friends sometimes are. No wonder a reader becomes a ``book-lover. ``

The Autobiography of a Rupee.
I am now an old coin, and have been in circulation, many years. I have become dulled and worn, and the Lion’s head on my face is very faint, and the lettering on my back almost rubbed out, with the years of hard work I have done. But I still remember my early youth. If you had see me then, when I was in Government Treasury, with my bright companions, soon after we had been issued from the Mint, you would not have recognized me as the same coin. I was shining silver, and the Lion’s head and all the lettering were very beautiful and distinct. I was very proud of my smart appearance.
My active life began when I was paid over the counter of a bank, along with other rupees, to a gentleman who cashed a cheque. I went of jingling in his pocket; but I was not there long, as he gave me to the shopkeeper. The shopkeeper looked pleased when he had me in his handmaid said,``I had not seen a new rupee for some time``,and he banged me in the counter to see if I was genuine. I give such a clear ringing note, that he pick me up and throw me into the drawer with a lot of other coins.
I soon found we were a mixed company. I took no notice of the greasy copper coins, as I knew they were of very low caste; and I was condescending to the small change, Knowing that I was twice as valuable as the best of them, the fifty Pisa pieces, and a hundred times better than the cheeky little paisa. But I found a number of rupees of my own rank, but none so new and bright as I was. Most were old coins, and dull and worn as I am today.
Some of them were jealous of my smart appearance, and make nasty remarks; but one very old rupee was kind to me and gave me good advice. He told me I must respect old rupees and always keep the small change in the place-advice which he summed up with the remarks, ``A rupee is always a rupee, however old and worn.``
The opening of the drawer interrupted our conversation; and I was given in change to a young lady, who put me in her purse. But the purse had a hole, and I felt out as she walked along the street, and rolled into the gutter, where I was lost a long time. Eventually a very dirty and ragged boy picked me up; and for some time after that I was in a very low company, passing between poor people and small shopkeepers in dirty little streets. But at last I got into good society, and most of my time I have been in the pocket and purse of the rich.
I have no time to tell the hundredth part of my adventures. I have lived and active life, and never rested long anywhere. I am glad of this, for I should not have liked the fate of a rupee, born the same year as I was, who has been all his life locked up in the strong-box of a master. What a dull life he must have had!

.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Jakhong, Mairang, Meghalaya

FIND OUT WHAT YOU WANT